But you knew that. If there are any "you" left by now...
So, stuff has happened since my last post. Most of it run of the mill stuff that is life with a couple of kids, a couple of dogs, a mortgage and a job. Won't bore you with it.
This week though has been slightly less mundane. My babies turned 6 this week. SIX! I find myself staring into their beautiful faces and I still can't believe they are no longer the tiny infants they were on that day 6 years ago. Early, tiny and utterly magnificent. Much of that first year of their lives was a blur, but that first day is permanently etched in my memory. A tattoo on my heart. I can't believe that I am their mother. That we created these human beings, and nuture them and love them (oh how much I love them) and that they have turned into these beautiful, loving, funny, fabulous little girls. We had a lovely day on their birthday. I took the day off work and spent the morning on parent roster in their class. They were so proud. That's a wonderful feeling, to have your children proud that you are their mother. After school, Poppy came to visit and took them to the park on their new scooters and then stayed for a fish and chip dinner, along with Aunty A and Aunty J.
Later, the week took a sadder turn. I had to go away for an overnight meeting about an hour away from home (which I was already grumpy about but that's a whole other story). While I was there suffering through a work dinner Mr Calamity's grandmother passed away in hospital. I called him to say goodnight and he told me the news. He didn't want to disturb me at dinner so he hadn't called me right away. I felt so angry that I wasn't home where I should be. My husband needed me and I was at a work thing. A stupid pointless work thing that I didn't want to be at in the first place. After a restless night's sleep, I woke to find a work colleague debilitated by a migraine. Bad enough that we needed to get her to hospital ASAP. I still had meetings to be at and, once she was safely on her way, I put on my most professional face and tried very hard to sit through them. By lunchtime, having not been able to successfully contact Mr Calamity to check on him, I gave up. Lost it. Told one of my senior managers I was leaving and managed to cry while I did so. Embarrassing and unprofessional. I am grateful that he was so supportive and compassionate about it, quietly informed only those who needed informing and escorted me to my car. I definitely owe him a beer. Thanks Pete.
Mr Calamity is sad about his grandmother. Mostly, I think he is worried for his Mum. His grandmother had been quite unwell for some months and her passing was not unexpected. In fact, her doctors has expected her to go sooner. One of them had even asked Mr Calamity's mother this week if grandmother was a particularly stubborn woman. That made her smile. She was many things and stubborn was definitely high on the list. I don't feel I knew her terribly well, even though I have known her for 17 years now. But I do know that she was a very strong woman who was much loved by her 4 children and her many grandchildren. We will farewell Beryl sometime this week. It will be sad, but I hope it will be a celebration of her life.
Saturday, September 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment