Monday, June 30, 2008

Just call me Nanna...

Last year I went to the Perth Royal Show. I love the Show, I'm a big kid! I love going to country Ag Shows too when I get a chance and I love all the competitions and regional exhibits.

So, this year I have set myself a challenge - I am going to enter The Cookery Section! I've been talking about doing it since last year's show, and now the deadline is coming up...yikes! I checked the website for the Rules and by crikey are they strict. For starters, you can't ICE the cakes. Surely they can't have cottoned on to the fact that I cover up all my mistakes with lashings of icing?? I tried a new chocolate cake recipe on the weekend (from the current delicious magazine) and it sunk in the middle :(. Now I am scared!

I can't decide what to make. My absolute fave never fail cake (White Chocolate Fudge Cake) doesn't fit into any of the categories - except "My Favourite Cake" which I feel will be hotly contested. My usual chocolate cake is pretty good, but is it good enough? My orange cake is good too (in fact I won first prize with it in a work baking comp), but I'll need to practice adapting the recipe to a loaf tin because the rules state that orange cakes must be in a loaf tin.

I'm going to bake a whole lot of test cakes between now and September if I am going to get me a Royal Show Certificate to hang in my kitchen! Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Nina said...

What a great idea! I have always wanted to submit something for a Show as well. I'll be following your progress with interest!