So, here's the thing. I have come to the conclusion that while it is very possible, when you are the primary caregiver, to have job and a family , it is next to impossible to have a career and a family.
I'm feeling very stuck at the moment. My children are on the verge of full time school and I have now been back in the workforce part time for over 3 years. Work wise, I am ready for a new challenge. More than ready. In order to get that challenge it seems I need to work full time. But, I am not ready to give up my time at home with the children. Neither are they, nor would it be good for the general running of the family.
It seems that no matter which option I choose, sacrifices need to be made and since my children are absolutely my top priority in life, then I must sacrifice my desire for a satisfying, interesting career. It's our choice I know and I am grateful that I at least live in a time and place where I have choices to make. Still, I can't help feeling resentful that I have to choose. It seems I can have a part time job which offers very little in the way of a challenge or advancement and be involved in my childrens' lives OR I can have a challenging satisfying career and have someone else raise my children. Why can I not in this day and age have both? (dammit!)
Sunday, June 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment