Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Test Cake Number Two

So, today I made my usual chocolate cake, which is from Bill Granger's lastest book, Holiday. Normally this would make one large cake but as the size is limited to 23cm diameter in the Royal Show, I split the batter and made one square and one round to see how it affects cooking time etc. I'm a little disappointed with the result. The cake itself is fine (no sinking or cracking - yay!), however they are not really deep enough to pass muster. If I use this recipe, I think I will use 2/3 to fill the smaller pan, rather than 1/2.

Anyway, here's the recipe (tried for pics, but can't get them to load). WARNING: This cake is large, and so easy to make that you will make it way too often.

Chocolate Cake
250g unsalted butter, softened
440g sugar
4 eggs
250mL milk
310g plain flour
5t baking powder
4T cocoa
1t vanilla

Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line 20 x 30cm cake tin.

Beat all ingredients together for 8-10 mins. Pour into tin and bake for 40-45 mins. Cool in tin 10 mins, then turn out.

Chocolate icing
300g icing sugar
4T cocoa
2T softened unsalted butter

Beat together with 3-4T warm water until smooth and fluffy.

No comments: