Friday, November 28, 2008

Reality hits...

So, on Monday I am back in the full time workforce, and today it really hit me. How the bloody hell am I going to do this? Quite apart from the angst/guilt/whatever about "abandoning" my children, I am the most disorganised person on the face of the planet!

I declared today "Friday Fun Day" and let the children choose the activities. They chose to go to an indoor play centre for the morning (my definition of Hell on Earth, but I did say they could choose...) and then have Movie Afternoon at home. We snuggled up on the couch with popcorn and Toy Story 2 and I googled "how to get organised". Thoroughly depressing. There were plenty of ideas for twee little "Household Management Folders", and clever storage solutions, but what I am after is a Entire Life Organising System. Maybe I just need a Wife? (a Stepford Wife even, certainly a better wife than I anyway).

Depressing googling done, the girls and I went and got fish and chips and icecream for tea (TLB is at the cricket). I resolved to organise something in the house tonight after they are in bed...but here I am glass of wine and laptop in hand...

The only conclusion I have come to is that I need to plan meals in advance, or we will be eating takeaway or two minute noodles every night. And I need to hire a cleaner. A good one. And an ironing lady. I swear the pile is reproducing itself in front of my very eyes.

If there's anybody out there - I need help! PLEASE share your methods for organising full time work, two almost school aged children, maintaining a reasonable abode and putting food on the table...

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way bagging Household Management Folders if that's your thing, but they're so not mine. Maybe that's the problem!

2 comments:

Frances said...

Is there a Mr Calamity on the scene?

I've always told my husband that if I ever went back to full-time work then he'd have to suddenly go back to doing 50% of all housework (plus 50% of childrearing). At present I do 90%. He tells me he loves his life at the moment and doesn't ever want me to go back to work, LOL!

So yeah. That's my suggestion. Delegate, big time.

Calamity Jane said...

Ah yes, Mr Calamity has been forewarned. Have already delegated kindy drop offs for the rest of the term ;) Shame he can't be trusted with the Christmas shopping!