Friday, August 22, 2008

Don't look now...it's HOUSEWIFE!

I am a self confessed lazy slob. I love the look of neat as a pin, well decorated homes with manicured gardens (full of fruit and veg naturally). Problem is, I have neither the time, nor the the inclination (or frankly the skills) to make mine one of them. Still, today I think I have been fairly productive for a slovenly wench. So far (and it's only 2pm!) I have:

  • Taken P to the ENT to have her ears checked out and cleaned after an ear infection. All well there, still recovering but nothing to worry about. Hearing test was good also.
  • Gone to West End Cakes (around the corner from ENT). Purchased two cupcakes for the girls, an Eccles cake for me and a family sized pastie for tomorrow's lunch.
  • Enrolled the girls in pre-primary for next year and picked up the order form for next year's school clothes.
  • Pruned the roses (yeah, yeah, late I know)
  • Weeded two big garden beds. Not a small job given my lazy tendencies and the bad batch of manure we had a couple of years ago which is still producing masses of waist high weeds.
  • Emptied and cleaned out the pots I grew herbs in last year, ready to move into the veggie garden.
  • Did a load of washing.
  • Called the oven guy to come and clean my feral oven.
Add to that bed making, food preparing and kid wrangling and I think I've done OK. Might have a glass of wine. 2pm is OK for wine on a Friday isn't it?

Must mention the book I started yesterday - A Year of Slow Food. An easy read, and quite inspiring.

Later that day...
Housewifely ambitions waned. I did clean the toilet. Properly - not a swish and tickle job. Then I watched my daughters practicing their newly acquired skill of hanging upside down on the swing set while sitting in the winter sunshine. The girls, obviously inspired by my housewifeliness swept the floor. Well, they pushed crap around with brooms and banged into walls. Then we made carbonara for tea. I didn't have wine. I forgot I drank it all the other night. Couldn't be arsed loading the kids into the car and going through the drive-thru in my gardening clothes, so I'm tea-totalling tonight. Lounging around perusing the interwebs and watching crap telly. Shit those kids can dance. I need a lie down just watching them. Oh hang on, I am lying down.

2 comments:

Frances said...

LOL! Love it!

For some reason this whole post reminded me of... now, who was it again.... oh yes, ME!

And ahem. 2pm is most definitely a fine time for wine.

Calamity Jane said...

Aw shucks, thanks :)

Have replenished the wine stock for future housewifely urges...(like the one I had yesterday, oh and today)