Sunday, September 7, 2008

The other side of politicians

Last night I witnessed two of my very dear friends in the most anxious few hours of their lives. He was running for a seat in the WA election. She, as always, was standing by her man. She has put as much into this campaign as he has. Six long months of hard, hard slog. And at the same time, they are raising four beautiful children.

It does not matter which "side" he is on. Last night, I saw a good man, an intelligent, compassionate, funny, ethical man come so close to his dream, only to have it snatched away by someone playing dirty pool. I saw his wife loving and supporting and believing in him every step of the way. And I saw the faces of their beautiful children watching their parents with love and pride. I watched my friends putting on a brave face for their many supporters, knowing all the while their hearts were breaking. And it broke my heart a little too.

Win or lose, I am proud to have these people as my friends.

No comments: