Monday, September 1, 2008

Vegie garden follies

After discovering I haven't yet killed everything in my vegie garden the other day, yesterday I potted out some herbs. I've always been pretty successful with herbs, but it was time for a revamp. So, yesterday I planted:
  • dill
  • flat leaf parsley (loads, I love this stuff)
  • rocket
  • sage
  • thyme
  • fennel
  • aloe vera
I also planted out some rosemary cuttings I've successfully struck. I actually have heaps of rosemary, but hey it's green and you can't kill it with a stick. I gave my little bay tree and pot of mint a little TLC as well. I found some delicious lupin mulch which I'm testing out with a couple of bags before committing to a trailer load. Bloody straw has all sprouted, hence the lupin.

I should also mention I planted some "pet grass". Blue, my German Shorthaired Pointer is food obsessed and, well, dense. He has successfully eaten our entire back lawn, not once but twice. Now I know that lawn is a waste of garden space, but when you have young children it's a useful thing to have! I'm hoping to grow this "pet grass" to a decent enough size that he won't eat the entire thing in 2 bites. If that works, and he prefers it to the other grass, then I am going to plant him a big patch of his very own and maybe, just maybe, we might be able to have some lawn this summer. I'm probably kidding myself, but it's worth a shot.

No comments: